Over the past decade plus, Max Bemis has developed a hard-earned reputation for avoiding ‘the norm’ with each Say Anything release. In unveiling his latest record, I Don’t Think It Is, via a midnight social media post Wednesday night, Max didn’t so much avoid the ‘traditional’ album release process as he did abandon it.
From the moment a simple GIF of Max’s best friend, Josh (who also largely served as the muse for this record), appeared on sayanythingmusic.com yesterday afternoon, the band’s fanbase began to speculate as to whether or not a new album would soon follow suit. When the clock hit midnight, not only were their suspicions confirmed (likely way ahead of when they were expecting), but the resulting album was a beautiful new addition to Max’s diverse discography that broke new ground for the project creatively while still maintaining a lot of the core qualities that Say Anything fans value most.
I Don’t Think It Is is a raw, emotive record full of poignant lyrics, punk and math rock guitars and a decidedly new rhythmic approach for the band. This breaking of new percussive ground comes in large part to Max’s choice for the first ever “full partner in the production and composition” of a Say Anything record ever, Darren King of Mutemath. While Darren was clearly the most prominent collaborator on the record, Cody Votolato of the Blood Brothers, Paul Hinojos of At The Drive In, Christian Holden of Hotelier, Max’s wife, Sherri DuPree of Eisley, and a slew of others also make appearances on the record. Once the record was written and recorded it was turned over to the incomparable Will Yip, whose mix managed to perfectly manicure the soundscape that Max and friends had created.
• Slim's is an ALL AGES (6+) venue.
• No refunds or exchanges are permitted, except in the case of headliner cancellation or date change. Opening acts are subject to change.
• NEVER buy third party tickets (Craigslist, StubHub, etc.) for over face value. Scalped tickets may not be honored.
• Once you purchase, you will receive an order confirmation email from Eventbrite on behalf of Slim’s Presents.
• IMPORTANT: If you do not see your order confirmation in your inbox, make sure to check your junk/spam folder. If you still do not see your order confirmation, click here to access the Eventbrite help center.
• If you are having any other technical ticketing-related issues with your order, click here to contact Eventbrite. For general show info, click here.