Dubbed the West Coast’s hottest Brazilian band by promoters, journalists and fans, SambaDá musically unites the Americas. Based in the rich musical traditions of Brazil, SambaDá also references salsa and cumbia, and blends them playfully with funk and reggae beats. Brazilian natives Papiba Godinho and Dandha da Hora bring profound knowledge and respect for Brazilian music, and together with the entire band, they present a unique musical sound with a universal appeal.
SambaDá was formed in 1998 in Santa Cruz, California, by capoeira master Papiba Godinho, saxophonist Anne Stafford, and drummer Gary Kehoe and has gone on to conquer clubs and festivals across the country with its explosive Carnival-like performances. The band is known for its high-energy percussion, danceable grooves and visually dynamic show.
The Afrofunk Experience is an ambrosial mix of musical interpretations influenced by the African diaspora, created in a collective and organic manner. With Sila Mutungi they comprised the award-winning group Sila and the Afrofunk Experience until 2010, providing songs and grooves that earned them the title "The Bay Area's Dance Kings", as well as the NAACP Image Award's Outstanding World Music Album for "Black President" and the SF Weekly Music Award's Best International Act.
Guitarist/Singer David James (Spearhead, The Coup, Beth Custer) brings his sinewy style to counter the funk-metal stylings of lead guitarist Ken House (H.P. Riot). The precise funk-rock drumming of Paul Oliphant (Afrolicious, Will Magid Trio) with Wendell Rand's (Afrolicious, Tracorum, Youssoupha Sidibe) muscular dance grooves keep the band tight, while saxophonist David Boyce (Broun Fellinis, The Supplicants) and trombonist Alan Williams (Manicato, Katdelic) wail, their horns producing a sound that encompasses outward-bound jazz, classic reggae, afrobeat and R&B. Percussionist B. Lee thickens and adds flavor to the mix, and on top of all this, recent addition Sandy House adds her sultry voice and powerful stage presence.
• Great American Music Hall is an ALL-AGES (6+) venue.
• No refunds or exchanges are permitted, except in the case of headliner cancellation or date change. Opening acts are subject to change.
• There is an 8 ticket limit per customer unless otherwise stated.
• NEVER buy third party tickets (Craigslist, StubHub, etc.) for over face value. Scalped tickets may not be honored.
• Once you purchase, you will receive an order confirmation email from Eventbrite on behalf of Slim’s Presents.
• IMPORTANT: If you do not see your order confirmation in your inbox, make sure to check your junk/spam folder. If you still do not see your order confirmation, click here to access the Eventbrite help center.
• If you are having any other technical ticketing-related issues with your order, click here to contact Eventbrite. For general show info, click here.